Wednesday, April 29, 2009

London: Risotto and Sticky Toffee Pudding

It's Wednesday evening now, but this blog post will focus on the rest of Tuesday. 

I took a 2.5 hour nap, which felt very nice - though it was hard to wake up. Anna and I went for a walk after that, up to Parliament Hill in Hampstead Heath, but once at the top it started to rain so we came back home. I helped Anna cook dinner - a risotto recipe from Jamie Oliver's cookbook.


Some of the ingredients out on the counter.

It is interesting to see where produce comes from in England. In the US, and especially California, most everything comes from California, Mexico, elsewhere in the Americas, and a bit of Asia. But for our dinner last night, the green beans came from Kenya, and the mint came from Israel. 

I took some pictures of the packaging.




Nancy and Chris came home and we all had dinner. 


My dinner looked lovely.

Since it was still light out when we were done, and the weather had cleared, we went for a walk in their neighborhood and into the park. We passed by the ponds in Hampstead Heath, which had mist rising up from them - it was dusk and the park looked lush and beautiful, with lots of flowers, green leaves and grass. I felt like Frodo walking through The Shire.


I didn't take pictures in the park because it was too dark, but I took this on the street just before we left the house for the walk.

On the way back, we stopped by the famous (to our family) Cafe Mozart - or perhaps it was the place next door (same owner), where we shared sticky toffee date pudding and a 'fruits of the forest' crumble. We had both with custard. I like custard more than ice cream. The sticky toffee pudding was really sweet - I preferred the crumble.

I managed to stay awake till 11 PM, which was a bit tricky, but paid off - I slept quite well and only woke up briefly during the night....and didn't get up until 8:30 this morning. After breakfast I headed out to explore SOAS and Central London.

No comments:

Post a Comment