Willa and I headed on the metro to the eastern side of Guangzhou, which generally is a newer part of the city. We walked through a huge mall, and saw some big skyscrapers....then decided to eat dinner at a Hunan Restaurant across from the mall called Xiangcunguan Restaurant. It seemed a bit trendy, but it looked popular.
The menu was a big picture book, and everything looked good. I considered asking the restaurant if I could take a menu home with me - it would have made a lovely coffee table book. There were certainly some more exotic items on the menu (frog, snake, etc) but we ended up with dishes that weren't too different than things I have had before in the U.S. Overall, our meal was excellent - lots of strong flavors, though perhaps they dumbed down the spiciness for us a bit, since nothing was too hot.
Part way through the meal, we were asked to put away our cameras, so I only got a few food photos here.
Eggplant and string beans.
Willa in the restaurant.
A hot skillet with smoked tofu, slivers of fatty pork, with lots of chilies and scallions.
We also had a beef dish, where the beef was also smoked, and tasted a lot like hickory smoked bacon. And a sauteed cabbage dish with black vinegar - a bit oily, but very tasty. I also had a watermelon juice with the meal - it was very good.
Back at my hotel this evening, I found that the laundry I dropped off yesterday had been hung up in my closet - it was a bit expensive because everything (even the socks!) was dry cleaned!
I promised Willa I'd take a picture of this, so here it is.
Here's another picture of my room. I'm staying at the Hua Tian Hotel. It's quite a nice room in general - the bed is quite hard (apparently this is common in China - Willa says it's good for my back). But for the money, you get a LOT more here than you do in Hong Kong.
No comments:
Post a Comment