On Saturday I slept a bit late, and when I woke up Nancy and Chris had just returned from the farmer's market at Hampstead Heath. I decided to go for a run, but thinking ahead, I slipped a 5 pound note in my pocket. I ended up running to the Heath, probably only 1.5 miles total, before I ended up at the farmer's market myself. It was quite nice - lots of baked goods, sausages, cheeses - and a fair amount of veggies too considering it's only early May. I met one vendor selling different salsas, and asked him about his chili peppers. It turns out that he grows them here in the UK and in the summer and fall he'll be selling fresh ones at his stand. So that's good to know, since many chilies are hard to find here. I ended up buying a chocolate croissant to eat as I walked home - it was beautiful out, but I couldn't help missing going with Jess to the Alemany Farmer's market in San Francisco. There were no empanadas at this one, or pupusas, or meyer lemons. But I did see kale!
I didn't get out of the house till nearly 2 PM, but when I did I ventured off to East London to scope out different neighborhoods. Perhaps I'll end up living out there, so it was good to see them. I first went to Shoreditch, then walked from there up through Hoxton Market. Next I took a bus over to Broadway Market, then through London Fields. London Fields reminded me of Dolores Park - lots of young people picnicking and drinking beer. Broadway Market was nice too - lots of stalls selling vegetables, sandwiches, cheeses, juice, etc. I bought a nice goat cheese and grilled veggie sandwich.
Next up I took a bus down to Bethnal Green (which was a very nice area - I'd definitely live near here), then over all the way to Roman Road, then down to Bow Church. Then I took another bus back toward Stephney Green and Whitechapel before getting back on the tube again. I liked some areas on this journey more than others, but overall the trip was well worth it - I got to see yet another side of London.
After this I met up with Adam again and we went to Regent's Park to throw frisbee. It was still really nice out, so this was fun. After throwing frisbee for a while, we went to look at the ducks before I took the bus back to the Barker's house.
The Barker's and I went out for Indian food at a place in Highgate - not anything too special, but even un-special Indian food here is better than most places in the US. Then we went to see a movie called "In the Loop" which is a new movie. Here's a link to the preview.
I thought it was okay, but I got kind of lost in the end. Overall, it was like watching the West Wing, but with British people too, and lots of swearing. I think Nancy, Chris and Anna felt about the same. But it had the girl from "My Girl" in it, so that was cool.
Here are some pictures I took - unfortunately I barely took any on my East London journey.
Canal near Broadway Market
Frisbee players on London Fields
No comments:
Post a Comment