I arrived in Kunming yesterday, and I've been eating since my arrival. I traveled here with a guy named Mark who I met in Yangshuo, and the two of us met up with a woman named Miao last night - she lives in Kunming and will also be studying in London with me next year (doing Anthropology of Development).
We walked to a big hawker center for dinner, where we ate a lot. First we had a dish where we chose a bunch of veggies, tofu and other goodies, then had it boiled in a big communal hot pot, then ate it w/ chili sauce. The broth was already spicy and had lots of sichuan peppercorn. Next we had some rice noodles in a spicy bean sauce, and some banana roti. Then a huge pot of soup with sour bamboo shoots and fish. Then finally some tea flavored jello, and some pineapple/coconut/sago drink.
Awesome.
This morning Mark and I had Cross Bridge Noodles for breakfast - I got a big bowl of broth, and then some noodles, raw meat, a quail egg, and raw veggies. You dump them all in the broth and wait for it to cook, then eat it. Very good - this is Yunnan's most famous dish. After breakfast we got a bit more to eat - a rice pancake w/ peanut and spicy bean paste, and a steamed bun with red bean.
Kunming seems like a delightful city - I could definitely spend more time here, but it's off to DaLi this morning. So hopefully I'll report on more soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment