Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hong Kong: Escalators, Mangosteens, Wontons, Skyscrapers

I am going to post some photos with brief descriptions....I will write more in the blog later, but I'll spend my time now uploading photos since they are already on this computer.

So here it goes:


This is my small hostel room near Mong Kok in Hong Kong.


On my first night in Hong Kong, I went with Willa to Temple Street Night Market. On the way back, we had a midnight snack of fried dumplings!


My first breakfast consisted of two orders of rice noodle rolls - from a place directly across from my hotel. I was proud that I figured out how to say these in Cantonese and ordered them even though there was no English spoken and no English menu. I had an order with pork, and an order with shrimp. The shrimp ones were better.


Breakfast part II consisted of coffee, an egg custard tart and some tea.


I took the ferry over to Hong Kong Island and rode a double-decker tram (pictured here)


There are some familiar restaurants near this market.

Eggs and Chinese Sausage at the market.


I met up with Keith for lunch in Central, and we ended up at a place that had rice noodle soups. Mine had ground pork, pickled vegetables and meatballs. Keith had wontons. I also had a lemon tea.


Keith and I rode the escalators up the hills of Hong Kong.


Keith went home, but I continued up the tram to go up to The Peak. This is the view from The Peak.


Amherst Pride on the Peak


I bought some mangosteens, which are delicious. The white flesh is very sweet.


The Hong Kong skyline at dusk.


The Hong Kong skyline just before the 8 PM laser light show. This was fun to see - I watched from the Kowloon side of the harbor.


After the light show, I went to a wonton noodle soup place recommended on chowhound. While the noodles and soup were just okay, these were some of the best shrimp wontons I have ever had.


4 comments: