Monday, June 15, 2009

Mangshi: Buying a Card Reader

I came into this internet cafe about 1 hour ago, and once I got settled on my computer, I asked if they had card readers to load pictures. Sometimes places do (like in Tengchong), but here they didn't. I really wanted to upload pictures, so I decided to just go buy one, so I have one to use for the rest of my trip (and afterwards too).
 
I went outside the internet cafe and found a nearby department store. Using sign language and pointing to my camera, I quickly found the camera section of the store, and identified the cheap card reader I wanted. There were two girls working at the desk, and I asked them how much it cost. They took the card reader, typed the number on the barcode into the computer, but nothing came up. Eventually, one girl said in English, "I don't know, sorry" and then they both just kind of sat there.
 
This was a big department store (multiple levels, kind of like a K-Mart) and I had a hard time believing that no one could tell me the price of the item I wanted. So I suggested (with sign language and noises) that they scan it using a scanner....or really anything, since I wanted to buy it!
 
They brought the card reader over to another woman, who also didn't know what to do, so then they called someone on the phone, who eventually told them a price of 25 RMB. I bought it, since that's only about 4 dollars and will be useful for the rest of my trip.
 
So the whole process in the store took almost 15 minutes. But now I have a card reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment