Tuesday, April 28, 2009

London: Two Hours on the Underground

I am in London! I just took a shower and am ready to take a nap.

The trip here was a bit long, but went smoothly enough. The plane ride was delayed in both the takeoff and landing, so what would have been 6 hours on the plane turned into more like 8. But fortunately, a woman named Patricia who was supposed to sit in the aisle seat of my row never showed up. So the guy right next to me moved over, leaving a middle seat open between us.

The in-flight entertainment on the plane was impressive - Continental has 350 movies to choose from, and then has TV shows and music too. I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which seemed like it lasted most of the flight (I am glad I didn't end up seeing this last Christmas - it was a bit too long). Chris (the guy next to me) finished his movie long before mine ended.

The food was OK but not great. I had some beef (brisket-like) with mashed potatoes, string beans and carrots. Maybe for the way home I'll request a special meal. Patricia had done this, which is how we know her name is Patricia.

We eventually landed in foggy London. Customs and baggage claim went smoothly, and soon I was waiting for the tube to head into the city. Chris ended up on the tube with me, which was great because the trip required some navigation - he lives in London and helped me figure the mess out. The Piccadilly Line was under construction of some sort, and closed for part of the line. This caused delays, and then eventually we had to get off that train onto another train. And then onto another train where I said bye to Chris, then finally reached the Northern Line, where I switched again to get to Tufnell Park. In total, the tube ride took me more than two hours, when it should have only taken 1.25.

The Northern Line car wasn't crowded, so I took pictures.


.


I remembered how to walk from Tufnell Park to the Barker's house, which was uphill, but I was glad to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine. I got there at about 11 AM GMT, and Anna was there to greet me. She is writing an essay today.

It is officially nap time now.

7 comments:

  1. Hi D, glad you made it! Next time maybe take the Heathrow Express!

    dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered an Hindu meal (on British Air) heading to London and a Muslim meal on the way back. The Hindu meal was especially good - veggie curries hold up great when rewarmed. However, I was flagged by security for the first time in my life... had my passport taken in back for close examination and everything. Very suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear you got there safe and sound. Excited for your new adventures! Love ya;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, that is a good idea to order the Hindu meal. I might try that! We'll see if I'm flagged for security too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's official - I've reserved a Hindu meal for my flight on Monday. We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing it was the Muslim meal that got me flagged - my last name is actually a pretty common Muslim Chinese name. Oh well. I think you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you're referring to Patricia as if you're BFF. Clever how you learned her name.

    ReplyDelete